View all the report titles
View a summary of a chosen report
View the full report in PDF format of a chosen report
Search archive using keywords
Home Page

Colchester Archaeological Trust

CAT Report 545: summary

(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)

Report on an archaeological trial-trenching evaluation: land to south of railway line, Westerfield Road, Ipswich, Suffolk - November 2009-February 2010 and October-November 2010
by Ben Holloway and Howard Brooks

Date report completed: February 2011
Location: Westerfield Road, Ipswich, Suffolk
Map reference(s): TM 166 468
File size: 10066 kb
Project type: Evaluation
Significance of the results:
Keywords: prehistoric, Iron Age, Roman, medieval, arable, loom weight, cremation, World War 2

Summary. This is the report on an archaeological evaluation on a 43.4-hectare site on land south of the railway line and west of Westerfield Road, Ipswich, Suffolk.

The evaluation site covered a number of separate arable fields, identified as Fields A to I in this report. One hundred and eighty-nine (i.e. 48% of the trenches) contained no archaeological features. The other 206 trenches (i.e. 52%) contained 453 archaeological features, of the following periods: undated and natural 215 (48% of all features); post-medieval and modern 105 (23%): prehistoric 83 (18%); medieval 33 (7%): Roman 17 (4%).