Colchester Archaeological Trust
CAT Report 572: summary
(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)
Historic building record of cart lodge/granary and stable, Gosling's Farm, Sheepcotes Lane, Bradwell juxta Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex: October 2010
by Richard Shackle
Date report completed: January 2011
Location: Gosling's Farm, Sheepcotes Lane, Bradwell juxta Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex
Map reference(s): TL 8143 2136
File size: 16,500 kb
Project type: Building record
Significance of the results: *
Keywords: cart lodge/granary, stable, post-medieval, modern
The cart lodge/granary is a Grade 2 listed building. The early map evidence shows that the cart lodge/granary and attached stable were built between 1839 and 1875. Probably after WW2, the granary was converted into a hen house and the grain bins were removed. In the front wall, new boarding was inserted with a glazed four-light window in each bay. It may have been at this time or later that the north-western external staircase was removed and the doorway converted into a window. At the same time, the window opening in the south-eastern gable of the granary was replaced by a modern window. Part of the floor was replaced by a new floor with new floor joists on hangers. It was probably at the same time that a new internal staircase was created in an enclosed lobby in the end bay of the cart lodge.
The farm complex is a fairly common example of a farm with an early farmhouse with 19th-century farm buildings. The buildings are of local significance but not of national or international significance. The 17th-century farm-house, although much altered, is also of local significance. The 19th-century farm buildings, including two cart lodges and the barn now converted into a house, are good examples of their type but are also of only local significance.