Colchester Archaeological Trust
CAT Report 1232: summary
(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)
Archaeological monitoring in the car-park to the rear of Colchester Town Hall, St Runwald Street, Colchester, Essex - November 2017
by Adam Wightman
(with contributions from -)
Date report completed: February 2018
Location: car-park to the rear of Colchester Town Hall, St Runwald Street, Colchester, Essex
Map reference(s): TL 99513 25288
File size: 2,020 kb
Significance of the results:
Keywords: floor surface, wall foundations
Archaeological monitoring was undertaken during the renovation of the car-park to the rear of Colchester Town Hall. The car-park was used by Fenwick Ltd during the redevelopment of the neighbouring department store and this work is a continuation of the monitoring reported on after the construction of the store was completed (CAT Report 1150).
A floor surface and two probable wall foundations were identified
during the excavation of a foundation trench for a replacement boundary wall. The floor surface and one of the wall foundations were from an 18th- to 19th-century stable at the rear of the former Cups Hotel. The other wall foundation was probably associated with the late 18th- to early 20th-century iron foundry which occupied the land to the west of the foundation trench.
The excavations monitored during the watching brief were not deep
enough to impact on any remains or deposits dating to before the late 18th or 19th centuries.