Colchester Archaeological Trust
CAT Report 1698: summary
(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)
Historic building recording at the Coach House, Wakes Colne Mills, Colchester Road, Wakes Colne, Colchester, Essex, CO6 2BY: May 2021
by Sarah Veasey and Chris Lister
(with contributions from Dr Pip Parmenter and Mark Baister)
Date report completed: 01/11/2021
Location: Coach House, Wakes Colne Mills, Colchester Road, Wakes Colne, Colchester, Essex, CO6 2BY
Map reference(s): TL 89216 28398 (centre)
File size: 19888 kb
Project type: Historic Building Recording
Significance of the results:
Keywords: Wakes Colne Mills
A programme of historic building recording was carried out by Colchester Archaeological Trust on the coach house at Wakes Colne Mills, Colchester Road, Wakes Colner, Essex, in May 2021.
The coach house is located within a complex of buldings and associated with Wakes Colne Mills. It is thought that there has been some form of mill on the site since 1066, but the 19th century saw a period of huge expansion for the complex. It was during this period that the coach house was constructed. The coach house is a brick-built structure with timber-framed roof trusses. All of the timbers are machine-sawn and many display good examples of Baltic timber marks. Although known as a coach house, the building was more probably utilised as a stable block and appears to lack the first door coachmen's accommodation that is the definining feature of a coach house.