Colchester Archaeological Trust
CAT Report 1594: summary
(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)
Historic building recording at the former Great Wigborough Village Hall, School Lane, Great Wigborough, Essex, CO5 7RJ
by Mark Baister
Date report completed: September 2020
Location: The former Great Wigborough Village Hall, School Lane, Great Wigborough, Essex CO5 7RJ
Map reference(s): TL 96688 15291
File size: kb
Project type: Historic building recording
Significance of the results:
A programme of historic building recording was carried out by Colchester Archaeological Trust at the former Great Wigborough Village Hall, School Lane, Great Wigborough, Essex in June 2020.
The building was initially constructed as a national school in 1854 and was subsequently expanded in size several times in the 19th and 20th centuries with extra ranges and a porch extension. In 1902 a national education act transferred administration of the school from the Church of England to the local authorities. By 1933, amidst falling pupil numbers, the school was closed, with its remaining students transferred to Birch. The building remained unused for 20 years, and fell into a partially derelict state. In 1953, after some refurbishment, it was reopened as a ‘coronation hall’ in celebration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It remained in use as a village hall until the 1990s, when it was again closed down, this time over safety concerns due to the building’s deteriorating fabric.